Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Orioles Magic

I know I've written about how the O's need a new catchphrase, but tonight I'll leave that behind.

They've won the AL East and so begins the journey for the AL Pennant and a well-earned spot in the World Series.

Baltimore, owning the best record in the Bigs since the All-Star break, are truly a three-dimensional team.

A 3.48 ERA.

Over a homer a game (1.29); less than half an error per game (0.49).

The only category that the O's are league leaders in is homers. Yet the amount of statistical categories they're ranked in the top 10 is overwhelming.

Check it out here for a closer look.

All I can say is, ever since I was a kid, waking up and reading the sports page to memorize the stats before my dad woke up, I couldn't fathom the Orioles winning the AL East.

The Yankees were perennials. The Red Sox defined the bottom of the top tier. Toronto was a .500 team, leaving Tampa and the O's to battle it out for fourth.

Occasionally, we'd finish 3rd and a small streak of prideful sweat would start to form between my brow. But the playoffs?

An afterthought.

If there was a word that combined "proud", "relieved", and "ecstatic", I'd use it.

Until I solve that mystery, I'll sleep on the fact that my O's have finally joined the Ravens as being a dominant force in their division and league.



No comments:

Post a Comment